Exploring downtown Fargo & Moorhead is a fun experience for kids of all ages! Check out some of these family-friendly activities and things to do with kids in Downtown Fargo.
Things to Do with Kids in Downtown Fargo
- Broadway Square is a great place for kids to run around and play on the green space. And May through October, splash around at The Square Spouts interactive water feature. They also host lots of family-friendly events throughout the year, including the Red River Market (open seasonally).
- Check out books and also check out the The Wiggle Room kids play area at the Fargo Public Main Library. The Main Library also has a StoryWalk May through August that encourages kids of all ages to read, move, and enjoy the outdoors. It’s a temporary installation located to the north of the library in the plaza between the downtown Fargo Public Library and the Fargo Civic Center.
- Island Park is right near all the action of downtown Fargo. Enjoy lots of shady picnic spots, a playground, and a paved path around the park — perfect for biking or pushing a stroller. Kids can also run and engage in imaginative play in the gazebo.
- Hjemkomst Center and Viking Ship Park provide a bit of Scandinavian heritage in Moorhead. Head inside the Hjemkomst building where the Historical and Cultural Society of Clay County offers tours of the Hjemkomst Viking Ship and also the Moorhead Stave Church. Walk along the park paths and view the beauty of the Red River.
- Head to a downtown bookstore! More Than Words Bookstore is a new shop on the Minnesota side, near the Moorhead Center Mall. They have books for all ages and interests (both new and used), cozy spots to read, and a unique selection of cards and gifts. And Zanbroz Variety is a unique local favorite in Fargo. Part bookstore, they also sell jewelry, toys, cards for all occasions, home decor, vintage items, and more.
- Take advantage of free admission at the Plains Art Museum in Fargo or the Rourke Art Gallery + Museum in Moorhead! And the Plains Art Museum has a playroom just for kids where they can get creative.
- See street art in person at the Downtown Fargo Murals. The art is whimsical and makes for great photo opportunities. Check out this map to know where to go!
Movies & Music
- Browse in a record shop. Try Orange Records, record shop/game store Vinyl Giant, or head to both — they are only a block apart!
- Catch a movie at the historic Fargo Theatre (they offer kid-friendly movies at select times throughout the year), or just pose for a picture with the iconic sign!
- Shop local at one of the region’s many boutique shops. Handpicked Goods, Vella Kids Boutique, and Botanical Brothers are some favorites.
- Enjoy a frozen dessert in the heart of downtown! For ice cream on the Minnesota side, head to the historic Moorhead DQ. Try one of their 10 unique treats. In Fargo try Scoop N Dough and soak up the cool atmosphere of Roberts Alley, or The Silver Lining Creamery for handcrafted ice cream in a variety of flavors.
- Get a pastry or cookie at Nichole’s, Sandy’s Donuts, or Insomnia Cookies.
- Moms get the coffee and kids can get smoothies or other sweets at Babb’s Coffeehouse, Atomic Coffee, 20 Below, Stumbeano’s, Youngblood Coffee Roasters, or Third Drop Coffee Fargo or Moorhead.
- Black Coffee and Waffle Bar is a tasty option for brunch, or any time!