Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Mine was pretty darn lazy. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, except I tend to get a bit stir crazy if I spend too much time around the house. We had a nice date night out on Friday night, and had some friends over for dinner on Saturday. Sunday was a lazy day…lots of couch time and movies.
And cleaning. That’s what happens when I’m “trapped” in my house for too long. I just spend my day cleaning…the mess drives me just a bit batty. I’m definitely a Monica. (That’s a FRIENDS reference in case anyone has been living under a rock since 1992). I’m always amazed when people don’t get or understand FRIENDS references.
Since there isn’t a whole lot to talk about from the weekend, I thought I’d share one of my latest DIY projects that I am pretty proud of.
A few months ago, I bought an old window off of Craigslist. I had seen so many neat ideas on Pinterest of how to use old windows in home decor. I was dying to try it. Also, my husband and I could not agree on a piece of artwork to put on our blank dining room wall. We needed something large for the space, and nothing we saw seemed to fit both of our tastes.
So after some Craigslist browsing, I came across this beauty:
Now I use the word “beauty” loosely. The window was the perfect size and had some good potential. I wish I had taken a better picture of it when it was in its original state. Or a few pictures during the refurbishing process. (Note to self, I will need to get better at documenting my process now that I’m sharing these projects on my blog.)
I contacted the seller to check out the window in person, and it was love at first sight. With the window, not the seller, of course! I knew that with a little elbow grease and some fresh paint, this would be the perfect addition to our blank wall. And best of all, it would serve as a blank canvas. I could change the decor seasonally, or whenever I wanted to give it a fresh look. I preferred that idea to having a piece of artwork that I would surely be bored with in a few months.
So I offered the guy $35, and away I went. (Never offer full price on a Craigslist deal, people. Always negotiate!)
It is hard to tell by the photo, but the window had quite a bit of old caulking/sealant around the panes. Step one was to remove all of that gunk. It wasn’t an easy task! I’m not sure how old the window was, but that stuff was stuck on there pretty good. I ended up chipping most of it off with a small putty knife. It was a lot of work, but also a pretty good stress reliever!
Once the old sealant had been successfully removed, I placed a new layer of silicone sealant. I wanted to be sure that the glass panes would stay in place permanently, even after I had removed the original adhesive. I opted for an all purpose sealant that goes on white, but dries clear.
My hubby recommended it. I’m not sure which of his various woodworking projects he uses it for, but he had some on hand. I’m pretty sure you can pick it up at Menards for under $5. Just ask for white lightening. I’m kidding! But did you notice it is actually labeled white lightening? Ha! That can’t be the brand…maybe it’s just the color. But the color is clear…how confusing. In any case, I’m pretty sure if you Google “white lightening”, this will not be your first search result. Or even in the top ten, for that matter. So maybe don’t ask for white lightening. I digress…there goes my “Bing brain” again!
Anyway, I applied it quite easily with my fingertip, and touched up smudges with water and a paper towel. (Again, I will start taking more step-by-step pictures now that I know I will be sharing these projects on my blog).
After I applied the new sealant and allowed it to dry overnight, I was ready to tackle the paint job. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the authenticity of the original paint, but that putrid shade of green just wasn’t going to cut it. My dining room wall is dark gray color with blue undertones (Dior Gray by Benjamin Moore), so I needed the window to pop. I opted to paint it white with Pure White Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan. Since this was a smaller project, I was able to get away with buying a 4 oz. sample can of paint for a mere $15, instead of buying a full quart, which runs about $40.
I applied about two coats of the chalk paint in order to fully cover the original green paint. I still wanted a bit of an antique feel, so I allowed some of the original wood to show through the paint.
Here is the end result!
I found a heavy duty wall hanging bracket at Menards, and bribed my husband to hang it for me. Well, let’s just say I nagged him until he did it. I would have attempted it myself, but I can never hang things level! And this bugger is heavy. I didn’t want to risk screwing it up and putting large holes in the wall.
I made a fun fall wreath with some of the extra floral picks I had in my craft room, and hung it with a scrap piece of burlap I had lying around. I absolutely love how it turned out! The wreath will probably stay up through Thanksgiving, and then I’ll need to find a way to decorate the window for Christmas. The possibilities are endless!
Sorry for the disjointed tutorial. I’ll get better at that. But I just had to share this project because it is one of my favorites!
Happy Monday and happy crafting!